Sunday 25 September 2011

Textile Museum

Textile Museum:

The Textile Museum is tucked away on a little side street between The AGO and Yonge and Dundas Square. It occupies part of what appears to be a residential building. It was so quite when I visited that for a good hour I did not encounter any other visitors. It felt as though I were viewing a private collection. I enjoy this intimacy that larger museums so often lack. If you love fashion or are vaguely interested in any form of textile craft it is must see. With my history background and interest in anthrpology I found there was lots to take in. It reminded me of the immense meaning that textile once held in so many cultures.. And it sadden me to think of the lost craftmanship and our now distorted relationship with clothing and textiles. If you hate fashion and think it meaningless then The Textile Museum will remind you of its cultural and anthropological significance.











































































Textile Museum of Canada
55 Centre Avenue (Dundas St. W & University Ave., St. Patrick subway)
Toronto, Ontario
M5G 2H5
t. (416) 599-5321
f. (416) 599-2911
info@textilemuseum.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment