Wednesday 23 November 2011

The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge – Shaun Kardinal

The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge – Shaun Kardinal:
Shaun Kardinal is a mixed-media artist from Seattle, USA. He does a bit of everything, but we’ll focus on his embroidered images.

Shaun Kardinal - A New Playground - embroidered postcard

I enjoy creating, curating and contemplating visual arts, music and websites (when I’m not obsessing over long-format television shows and books).

Shaun Kardinal - Near Oregon City - embroidered postcard

“I am constantly inspired by, frustrated with, raving about, and occasionally crushed by the work around me.

Shaun Kardinal - Moon No 1 - embroidered postcard

“I cannot see enough of it. I must always hear more of it. Even when I’ve worn myself out of it.”

Shaun Kardinal - Misspent Youth - embroidered glyph


We’ve seen instances of people stitching on photos and paper before. Shaun’s work on postcards reconstructs nostalgia, giving it a fresh perspective and a modern twist while retaining the spirit of the age.

Shaun Kardinal -  Intertwined

His other embroidered pieces play with the form, using thread to stretch at constraints and to energise images. Easy to engage with and super cool, I like Shaun’s work and enjoy seeing his new pieces as they arrive.

Shaun Kardinal - Downtown - embroidered image

You can follow Shaun on his blog and bask in his creativity.

—–

The Cutting & Stitching Edge is brought to you in association with my new book!




No comments:

Post a Comment